Gallows Extreme Wrestling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How To: Role play

3 posters

Go down

How To: Role play Empty How To: Role play

Post  Kaluani Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:18 pm

Hi guys!

I have seen a lot of roleplaying in my life and I see a lot that's going on here, and I can see that some of you are beginners in roleplaying. That is no problem at all, roleplaying isn't something you cannot learn. Most of you probably know some of the basic rules, and i am sure that there are more than I am aware of, but nevertheless, here are my hints for making a roleplay a good one:

First off, read the Rules that are given. They are specific for this board and may be other than in another fed.

Secondly: The main essence of roleplaying in this regard is fun. And this does not mean "Fun for you" but "fun for everyone involved". That espaccially means that you should avoid being aggressive. Don't attack or unsult your RP-Partner.

Third: Leave free space. RP, espacially in this game, is a story told by at least two people (or even more). Sure, you want your wrestler to be the best, hardest, whatever. But your opponent also wants to have a chance to do something and probably you wouldn't find it funny if someone yould write an essay about how he beats your wrestler to a bloody pulp.
Make it a friendly startup, give your partner the chance to jumo in and maybe, if you want a certain turn in the storyline or else, talk with him or give him plothooks at the end of the RP where he is supposed to catch on.
(A good example for that is this, I think)

Fourth: Don't "Power-Pose" or "Power-RP". That means: Do not write anything that leaves your opponent no choice to react or shows him in a way he doesn't want it to be. A Phrase like "My wrestler beats X in the face" is an example for that. Your RP-Partner has no way to avoid it. Better it would be to write "my Wrestler tries to beat X".
Even more, don't try to make a unavoidable situation. For example, if you burn down the locker room of your opponent, while he is locked in, the key is taken away, the windows nailed and what-do-you-know may be a cool situation, but maybe your opponent isn't as creative as you are and doesn't know the answer to that... - the result would be a dead opponent or a RP without an end.

Fifth: This is something already written in the rules of this board, but nevertheless: Only do things that are possible for your character and don't RP as your RP-partner. It may be ok if you really, really know it's ok for him, but even then only write short lines, just not to make someone else out of your partners character. And obviously, do not make stuff like "I blow up the ring, let blood rain from the heaven, summon the legion from hell... blabla...

Sixth: be consecutive. If you made up a concept for your char, stick to it. Sure you're allowed to do whatever you want, but try to stick to your concept. It makes it easier to make an RP with you, it makes it easier for people to recognize you at the show and so on and forth. And while we're at the point of "character-concept" - give your character some weaknesses. Same point as above: Don't make him invincible, because this will simply destruct every RP-attempt.

Seventh, and last point:
Check your spelling. There are lots of people who are not native-english-speakers. We all do a typo here and there (actually, I did one while writing "Typo" Smile ) - that's nothing bad, that happens to all of us. But before sending your post, check for the spelling if you're not 100% sure. Also, try to write in real language. We all know it's easier to shorten words in a chat and write "u" instead of "you" and so forth, but it's no fun reading it in a good roleplay. Capitalized letters make a sentence more easy to read, a correct spelling avoids a double-meaning of a sentence. that's all little details, but they all together help to make an RP more interesting.

So, I hope you maybe learned something. If not, that's alright, since then you're already a good RP'ler and can start off with anything you'd like ! If you did, that's also cool, because now you're aware of some new facts and surely eager to try them out Smile
So go ahead, RP around and have fun !

If anyone wants to add something, feel free to do so Smile

Last edited by Kaluani on Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kaluani
Kaluani
Star
Star

Back to top Go down

How To: Role play Empty Re: How To: Role play

Post  leon heart Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:33 pm

Top Post! Cool
leon heart
leon heart
Lower Card
Lower Card

Back to top Go down

Post  leon heart Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:08 am

Can I add, that it is really lazy to put txt speak into an RP, such as u instead of you, 2 instead of two etc
leon heart
leon heart
Lower Card
Lower Card

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmytesla Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:17 am

I agree with everything spoken, though I can see a few more things to mention, simply due to the fact that this is wrestling.

Backstage beatdowns: They'll happen, they'll happen to you. Frankly as long as nothing is mentioned as being seriously broken or hurt, it's just business as usual, this does fall rather close to power-RPing. In general, the trick is to give your opponent a push if he's a face, or a good reaction from the fans if he's heel. You're doing this to get over with the fans, and to spice up your feud, because all in all, the brawl backstage won't change anything unless Hangman or 47 decide that someone is too injured to compete, which isn't likely.

As Kaluani is introduced forward by the backstage announcer, a shadowy figure appears behind him. Brandishing a lead pipe, he looms forward, clocking Kaluani in the back, knocking him down along with the cameraman. The camera sits on its side showing the fallen Kaluani as his head is tilted backwards, a hushed voice whispers, "You wanted a war....." Using the pipe as a choke aid, he takes a few seconds to cut off Kaluani's air. Dropping it to the side, the figure continues, "You got it." As he leaves, he kicks the camera, showing the assailant as the Underdog, Jimmy Tesla

That's a decent assault, granted in general, It'd be good to assume that your opponent is GOING TO PROTECT HIMSELF. It's a nobrainer, the only ones that wont are the psychos or the guys that no-sell everything. Either work, in fact I recommend you PM the victim and tell him what you're planning so you can set up a good RP attack.

I'll post more thoughts as they come to me, I think this should be stickied
jimmytesla
jimmytesla
Mid Carder
Mid Carder

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down